History of the Newcastle Club

In 1884, eight leading citizens of Newcastle-on-Hunter met for the purpose of "talking over and considering" the formation of a Club.

On 15 September 1885, the Club was formally opened, renting five upstairs rooms and balcony over Messrs Dalgety & Co’s offices at number 11 Watt Street, Newcastle.

In February 1892, larger premises at the corner of Watt and King Streets were secured at a weekly rental of 4 pounds 10 shillings. The Club remained in occupation until February 1911 when it moved to its first freehold and rather grand Federation style premises in Pacific Street, Newcastle. In 1924 His Excellency Lord Forster, then Governor General of Australia, opened the magnificent new Clubhouse built on grand beaux artes lines.

In 2002, the Club, entirely without rancour and almost unanimously, voted to admit ladies to membership. They now take their place on an equal footing with men in the life of the Club and provide a new vibrancy and richness to the camaraderie of the Club.

The Club has experienced and overcome many challenges in its 130 years including the Boer War, two World Wars, the Great Depression, the breathalyser, the advent of talking pictures, radio and television, a 5.6 Richter scale earthquake in 1989 and a significant change in the economic and social direction of the City with the closure of many heavy industries. 


more...